Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Boys

When we found out that Little Guy was a boy, I was just a wee bit nervous.  While I can tie sashes and paint toenails and play dollies in my sleep, I wasn't sure I'd know how to mother a boy.  I'm not much for getting dirty, not particularly fond of animals, and, as my dearest friends will be happy to tell you, spent the first two years of elementary school in remedial gym.  Boyhood was a tad intimidating.

 But then I found a little boy's love that was so enormous it became very easy to mother him.
So tender.  So sweet.  So devoted.
Soon, I couldn't imagine it any other way.
Then, we were expecting Buddy Boy, and most people seemed to assume we were hoping for a girl to go with our boy.  While I would have been thrilled to have a daughter, and would love to be so blessed someday, my secret hope was that we'd get to experience the sweetness of brothers...built-in playmates, lifelong friends.
And, really, I wanted to go back for seconds of that enormous, little boy love.
As it turns out, the double helping is even better than I could have hoped.

3 comments:

BettieBoyd said...

These are pictures of perfect Christmas joy! I am enjoying them so much!Love, Mama

Courtney said...

Aren't boys just the best! I second your thoughts. Hope you guys had a Merry Christmas!

Aunt Cacky said...

I too was thrilled when I was told I was having two of a kind and some day my girls will be thrilled too!