Thursday, July 30, 2009

Weaning and Teething

Not a particularly good combo, y'all. But, regardless, that's what we're doing.

I always knew I wanted to nurse Andrew for at least a year. I knew it would be good for him and good for me. And I knew he would enjoy it. What I didn't know was how very much I would enjoy it. But as time went on, and especially once we'd move past the marathon schedule of 45-minute feedings around the clock, I found that I absolutely loved that time with my baby. I loved pulling him up on my lap and snuggling him tight and filling up his little tummy. And I was really looking forward to sharing this time for a good while more. But, alas, we have to cut this shindig a bit short, as I'm under doctor's orders to wean the baby in preparation for a bit of surgery I need. So, as silly as it may sound, I really am mourning the loss of this precious connection, our peculiar little brand of symbiosis. And Andrew's not too happy about it either.

We started weaning last Wednesday and as of yesterday are down to just one nursing a day. Our week has been full of green cabbage leaves (if you have to ask, you don't want to know!), icepacks, and perhaps a few illicitly sweetened bottles. The little guy at first refused to have anything to do with formula or a bottle, but just yesterday, he finally 'latched on' to a bottle and drank maybe 2 ounces. In the meantime, I've been mixing a bunch of formula into his rice cereal and keeping him full with solids. It's clear this new system is not what he prefers, but, true to character, he's been a good sport about it all.

Adding teething to the mix, though, was just a step too far. A second bottom tooth seems to be hanging out right under the skin and left him a bit out of sorts yesterday. We've definitely had smoother sailing, but we're doing a-ok. And by next week, it looks like we'll have a little boy with two bottom teeth and a bottle habit. :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurray for the Snodgrass Method---babies raised on Karo seem to be very healthy! Love, Mama

Elissa said...

Hooray for making progress with the bottle and hugs to both of you. Amelia was officially completed weaned yesterday... :S

Sarah Rose said...

I have GOT to know if the cabbage leaves work... I totally thought it was a joke, but DO SHARE if it is worth it!

Family Snodgrass said...

Cabbage leaves work WONDERFULLY! It's definitely a little weird, but a huge help!

Confessions said...

ugh. i understand the mourning...i think i'll be in your shoes soon with school starting back. it is such precious time with your little one. i will pray for your heart! and your surgery?? hope things are okay.

Suzanne said...

hang in there, it will get better. brady weaned himself and i was so sad about it as well!

EWP said...

I read your post and was like, cabbage leaves? Does Andrew chew on them? So clearly I googled it. That is the WEIRDEST thing I have ever heard. But I'm happy it's working for you!

Ole Miss Mom said...

Awe, bless your heart! I hated weaning my kiddos! Nursing is the part I'm most looking forward to with this next little one! It's just so sweet! BUT, you need to do what's best for YOU and him! Olivia was mostly formula fed! But it's still sad to wean! I remember going through the pain with Olivia...but it passes quick! I never did the cabbage leaves but I'm so glad it's working for ya!! :-)

Wanting What I Have said...

oh...my time nursing MW was cut short unexpectedly, too...my heart is heavy for you. i hope your surgery goes well and that you're okay. i'll be praying for you and precious little Andrew.

Kelly said...

I feel for you on the weaning process. I remember laying on the bed with those "cold cabbage leaves." It does get better! Can't believe he's getting his teeth! Big Boy :)

Aunt Betty said...

OK so I googled the cabbage leave thing and that is weird but what I find even more interesting is who was the first person to try this...hmm you think she was just walking around the garden feeling a little discomfort and though oh maybe I'll stick some produce in my bra and then leave it there for several hours until she had determined that it worked. Go figure!