Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Doctor Diaries

So, I have a few updates from the doctor.

1. I failed the first, one-hour glucose screen, so I had to spend all Friday morning at the doctor's office taking the 3-hour follow-up test. I found out yesterday, though, that I passed the 3-hour test, meaning I am gestational diabetes-free! Yippee! To anyone who thinks the 1-hour test is bad: just be sure not to fail it. The 3-hour is awful! No eating for 12 hours, a twice as potent orange sugar syrup drink, and 4 blood draws over 3 hours. Yuck! By the time I was done at noon on Friday, I was sweating and shaking and sure I would pass out if I didn't eat immediately. Thankfully, I found an Italian lunch buffet very near the hospital, and ate way more than $7.99 in pizza, salad, eggplant parmesan, and cheesecake. And then I waddled home and recuperated on the sofa all afternoon.

2. While I was hanging out at Dr. G's Friday morning, he decided to take an ultrasonic look to see whether Baby Andrew's position had changed. (This was a nice bone to throw to the lady chugging orange syrup and alternating arms for blood sucking.) Baby's still breech, and he's now in "true breech," with his feet all the way down at the bottom, rather than a "version" of breech, as he was before, with his bottom at the bottom. As of Friday, there was still about a 50-50 chance Andrew would flip, but that goes down as time goes on, and his being in true breech makes it less likely he'll flip. So...Dr. G has tenatively scheduled me for a C-section on December 16. :( I had not at all expected to have a C-section, so this surprised and somewhat disappointed me, but whatever gets Baby Andrew here safe and sound is exactly what I want. I can tell from his kicks that he's still breech right now, but maybe one day soon, he'll do a big somersault for us. For now, mark your calendars for a potential December 16 debut!

4 comments:

Ole Miss Mom said...

I had to take the 3 hour with Lillian! YUCK!! Oh, and she was breech until about 33 or 34 weeks!!!!! So hang in there. They can flip the last day!!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
C-sections aren’t so bad and have many advantages, since he hasn't squeezed through the canal his head will be nice and round. You get to stay in the hospital for longer and no one expects anything of you for weeks!!!! As far as modesty goes hands down C-section. You don’t sit on your C-section scar. You can't drive so your husband has to go everywhere with you, more fun time for bonding!! You do not spend hours in pain giving birth and last but not least your parents will most definitely be there with you on the Birthday!!!!! Love you Aunt Betty

EWP said...

C-Sections aren't so bad. All the celebs do it, so there must be something to it :) Dec. 16th is so soon!

Jana said...

Hey!! December 16th huh? It will be here before you know it!! ALL of my best friends have had C-sections and swear it's the way to go---They say the key is to get up pretty soon afterwards and walk around..that that makes the recovery alot better! They loved having it, actually! Just think..you will look so pretty in all your pictures! Ha! Their hair was perfect, their makeup was on! I hope you are feeling well!! You look great!